Pearl Barley is a member of the grass family, which is a whole grain rich in vitamin B-complex, iron, calcium, magnesium, manganese, selenium, zinc, copper, protein, amino acids, dietary fiber, beta-glucans and various antioxidants.
It is used as a component in various health foods. The cultivation of Barley grains started 13,000 years ago in Eurasia.
It is also used in soups and stews, and in Barley bread of various cultures. Barley grains are commonly made into malt in a traditional and ancient method of preparation.
Pearl Barley seeds are one of the most important items to be stored in the kitchen due to their significance in usage and utility in solving many health problems easily.They have a peculiar taste of light sweetness and astringent like black plum fruit.
White Barley ( Pearl Barley ) seeds only can be used in below described recipes and home remedies, according to Ayurveda.
They have potential to protect health. They can be grinded to powder, mixed with water and then heated to prepare starch.
Usage of Pearl Barley to cure various health problems
- Pearl Barley water or Starch is the most important food for the people suffering with fever. Slight salt, sugar, lemon, glucose or cow milk can be added depending on need and situation.
- When used as food it prevents cold, fever, thirsty, over heat and weakness.
- Drinking Pearl Barley water is a great natural remedy for urinary tract infections (UTIs). Being a natural diuretic, it increases urination to help flush toxins and the infection-causing bacteria out of the body.
Plus, it helps cleanse the kidneys and acts as a good anti-inflammatory for the urinary system. Thus, it is also used for treating issues like cystitis, kidney stones and high creatinine levels.
- Pearl Barley water is good for diabetics because it helps stabilize blood glucose levels. The phytochemicals present in Pearl Barley are also beneficial for controlling diabetes as well as heart disease and cancer.
- Pearl Barley water is good for reducing blood cholesterol levels.Helps to prevent the absorption of cholesterol from food in the stomach and intestines.
- Pearl Barley water contains the B vitamin niacin. This helps slow the development of atherosclerosis, due to its anti-inflammatory and lipid-altering effects.
Also Pearl Barley water helps lower high blood pressure, another contributing factor for cardiovascular disease and stroke.
- Equal quantities of Pearl Barley powder, wheat powder, and black gram powder shall be mixed and heated with sufficient water. When the mix used in bandage it breaks the boils or ulcers soon.
- 24 grams of broken Pearl Barley seeds should be heated with 1/2 litre water. Mix sufficient candy sugar to the filtered Pearl Barley water after cooling. This should be taken for 40 days regularly to reduce over heat, wet dreams, premature ejaculation, and increase sperm count, fertility and vitality.
- Heat Pearl Barley seeds on slight flame till they become black. Then mix with sesame oil and paste it. This can be used as ointment for boils or blisters to cure them fast.
- Being alkaline in nature and rich in soluble as well as insoluble fiber, Pearl Barley water is excellent for your intestinal health and promotes digestion. It is beneficial for treating digestive problems including constipation, hemorrhoids and gastritis.
Home Made Pearl Barley Recipes (Vegetarian)
Pearl Barley seeds (boiled) can be mixed with other vegetable salads like radish, tomatoes, onions, cucumber etc.
Mushroom Barley soup could be the best appetizer.
One can make a Kichidi with boiled and smashed pearl barley seeds along with tomatoes, spinach, coriander leaves etc.
Pearled Barley Salad with Apples, Pomegranate Seeds and Pine Nuts could be best fruit mix.