Lord Rama was born in the 81st generation of Ikshvaku Dynasty of Surya Vamsam or Solar Dynasty. This lineage continued for another 64 generations until 1634 BCE, where the last king Sumitra was killed by Chanakya’s contemporary Mahapadma Nanda.
Brihadbala, who was 115th generation king, participated in Kurukshetra war and was killed by Abhimanyu.
Raghuvanshi is an offshoot dynasty born out of the Suryavanshi clan after the king Raghu (57th generation).
Vishnu Purana, Valmiki Ramayana and Mahabharata contain accounts of this dynasty.
Raghuvansha by Kalidasa also mentions the names of some of the kings of this dynasty
Ikshvaku dynasty was a dynasty founded by the legendary king Ikshvaku.
22 out of 24 Jain Tirthankara belonged to this dynasty. Rishabha(Ikshvaku) is present in both Hindu as well as Jain mythology.
Both refers to the same person. Prince Siddhartha (Gautama Buddha) belonged to ikshvaku dynasty in 139th generation.
Ikshvaku (इक्ष्वाकु, ikṣvāku), was 2nd generation king or rather the 1st king of this dynasty. His name originally was Rishabha.
When he was exhausted during hunting and was about to die, a Rishi saved him by providing Ikshu (Sugar cane) Rasa (Juice).
His voice became sweet and he was named Ikshvaku (one who speaks sweetly).
He ruled the Kingdom of Kosala in ancient India. Acoording to the Vishnu Purana, he had a hundred sons, among whom the eldest was Vikukshi.
Ikshvaku‘s another son, named Nimi, founded the Videha dynasty.
Ikshvaku Dynasty Kings List (until 1634 BCE)
01. Vivasvan (vaivasvata) Manu (wife:- Shraddha)
02. Ikshvaku (originally Rishabha, became Ikshvaku after surviving with SugarCane juice)
03. Bharata : He is the son of King Rishabha and founder of the Sun Dynasty (Suryavansha). Among the hundred sons of king Ikshvaku, Bharata is the eldest one. Because he has very broad chest of a warrior, he was also called as Kushki.
04. Vikukshi (Shashad) (he who eats the meat of a rabbit so he named Shashad) (contemporary to King Pururava who was founder of Chandravansh)
05. Baan (contemporary to 2nd Chandravanshi King Aayu andVijaya-1)
06. Kakutstha (Puranjaya or Indrahomi or Indravahu) ruled 10,900 years (contemporary to 2nd Chandravanshi King Aayu)
07. Anena (Anaranya or Suyodhana) (contemporary to 3rd Chandravanshi King Nahusha)
08. Prithu (contemporary to 4th Chandravanshi King Yayati and demon king Vrushaparva)
09. Vishvarandhri (Vishvagandhi or Vishvamshaha) (contemporary to 5th Chandravanshi King Yadu, Puru, Suhotra)
10. Chandra (Aayu in Agni Puran or Indu in Matsya Puran or Aadra in Vishnu Puran)
12. Shashvat (Shravant of Vishnu Puran, Harivansh Puran, Agni Puran) who built town Saraswati
14. Kuvalayasva (or) Dubdhunara (21,000 sons and Here time duration is many years long)
15. Dridhasva, Kapilashva, Bhadrashva (Dand in Agni Puran and Matsya Puran, Chandrashva in Vishnu Puran and Harivansh Puran)
17. Haryasva (Pramodak or Vayarshvah in Vishnu Puran)
19. Baharnashva (Shanhatashva in Agni Puran, Matsya Puran, Harivasnh Puran)
21. Krisasva (Akrutashva in Agni Puran, Matsya Puran)
22. Prasenajit-1 (Seinya Jeet, Ranashva in Agni Puran)
23. Yuvanashva(2) (who was contemporary to Chandravanshi King Gandhara who was founder of Gandhara Kingdom, Shakuni born 95 generation after King Gandhara)
24. Mandhata (Chakravarti Samrat) killed by Lavanasura in Mathura (He defeated Ravana). Conquered the Druhyus and vanquished Nriga, Marutta, Jaya, Suna, Sudhanwan, Angara, Gaya and Asita.
25. Purukutsha (married with Narmada), Ambarisha (adopted by Yuvanashva), Muchukunda (helped Deva in Deva-Asur War andlatter he killed Kaal Yavan by fire from his eyes at the time of Sri Krishna Avatara in end of Dwaparayuga) (Contemporary to Chandravanshi King Sibi who was founder of Keikaya and Madra Kingdom)
27. Trayadasyu (Sambhuti in Agni Puran)
28. Sambhrut (Vishnu Puran, Agni Puran, Matsya Puran)
29. Anaranya-1 (killed by Ravana, Anaranya cursed Ravana that one day one king of Ikshvaku line age will kill Ravana andSri Rama killed Ravana)
30. Pushadashva (Vishnu Purana)
32. Sumana (Sudhanava in Harivansh Purana, Vasuman, Paarjitar)
33. Tridhanva (Vishvamitra was chief minister in his court, contemporary to God Parashurama)
36. Satyavrata (or) Trishanku (for whom Viswamitra created a seperate heaven)
37. Harishchandra (contemporary to Shahashtra Bahu Kartivirya Arjuna)
38. Rohit (Rohitashva) (Kanyakubj or Kannauj dynasty ended during Rohitashva’s reigned)
39. Harita (Haritashva) (Contemporary to Chandravanshi King Dushyant)
40. Champ (Chunchu) (Conntemporary of Chakravarti Samrat Bharata of Chandravansh in line age of Puru)
41. Sudeva (Chakshu in Vishnu Purana, Agni Purana)
42. Vijaya (Valmiki lived during reign of this king – contemporary to Maharshi Bharadwaja)
43. Bharuk (Ruruk in Vishnu Purana, Harivansh Purana)
48. Bharat (mentioned in Ramayana)
49. Asit (Kalinda in Ramayana)
50. Sagara (Chakravartin Samrat) he ended Haihaya Dynasty. Sagara had many sons but only Asamanjash live (Contemporary to Chandravanshi King Hasti who founded Hastinapura)
51. Asamanjash (Contemporary to Chandravanshi King Ajaamidha who was founder of Panchala Kingdom)
54. Bhagiratha (He brought Ganga to earth)
58. Naabh (Nabhag in Matsya Puran, Harivansh Puran)
59. Ambarisha(2) (great devotee of God Maha Vishnu)
61. Avyutayu (Shrutayu in Agni Puran)
63. Sarvakama (Sarvakarma, Aartupani in Harivansha Puran)
64. Sudas (contemporary to King Kuru-1 of Chandravansh who founded Magadha Kingdom)
65. Saudasa (or) Kalmashapada (married to Madayanti)
67. Mulaka (Naari Kavacha) (Contemporary to Yadava King Shakuni who was father of Rakshasha “Bhasmasura”)
69. Adwil (Ilabil in Vishnu Puran)
74. Dululaha (Harivansh Puran)
76. Dilipa(2) (or) Khatvanga (in Vishnu Puran, Harivansh Puran)
78. Raghu-2 (Chakravartin Samrat) (Raghuvansh, Raghava, Raghuvir word use in honour of this king)
79. Aja (married to Indumati)
80. Dasharatha, to whom Sri Rama was born as mentioned in Valmiki Ramayana (contemporary to Videha King Siradwaja (Janaka-2) father of Seeta)
81. Rama ruled for many years as mentioned in Valmiki Ramayana, Vishnu Purana, Harivansha Puran, Agni Puran, Srimad Bhagavat Maha Puran (Lakshmana, Bharata andShatrughna are his siblings and they are also avatar of lord Vishnu)
In the Ramayana, we find that, Lava and Kusha were the sons of Rama.
Puranas provide a genealogical list from Kusha to Brihadbala, who was killed by Abhimanyu in the Mahabharata war (3138 BCE).
85. Nala (who went to tirunallar to get rid of his dwarfness)
94. Dala (or Balasthala)
95. Chhal (or Anal)
98. Khagan (or Shankhanaad)
99. Vighruti (or Vyushitashva)
101. Hiranyanabha (He was student of Sage Jaimini, Yagnyavalkya has accepted him as his teacher)
109. Susandhi (or Sugandhi)
110. Amarshana and Sahasvanta, the sons of Susandhi
115. Brihadbala (at Mahabharata time, Abhimanyu killed Brihadbala at age 125 years in Mahabharata War).
Average lifespan of a human kept dropping with each Yuga.
Buddha in the History of Ikshvaku Dynasty
The list of kings of lkshvaku dynasty from 3138 BCE to 1634 BCE
Brihadbala was killed in the Mahabharata war by Abhimanyu. His son ‘Brihadkshana’ became king after the war.
117. Urn yaksha
118. Vatsa vyuha
134. Kritanjaya or Dhananjaya
139. Siddhartha (Gautama Buddha) [We may not consider Siddhartha in kings list as he kingdom at young age and Suddhodhana’s grandson Rahula became next king]
140. Rahula( Son of Siddhardha)
These 30 kings reigned for 1504 years (between 3138 BCE – 1634 BCE)
Last king Sumitra was killed by Mahapadma Nanda in 1634 BCE.
Chanakya was contemporary to this Mahapadma Nanda (Dhana Nanda), who placed Mahapadmananda’s protege Chandragupta, son of Mahapadma Nanda by his wife ‘Mura‘ on the throne of his father.
Vishnu Purana, Amsa IV, chapter 22 mentions :
IkshvakuNaa mayaa vaMsaha, sumitrAntO gamishyatihi
Which means that Ishvaku dynasty ended with Sumitra.
This was also mentioned in Matsya, Vayu and Brahmanda Puranas.
Vishnu Purana also mentions that He, who was called Maya Moha in his previous birth, will be born as Siddhartha to King Suddhodhana. By propagation of his teachings, many give up their traditional vedic religion to adopt new religion of Buddha and will be called as Bauddhas.
Buddha was the contemporary of Kshemajit, Bimbisara and AjataSatru, the 31st, the 32nd, and the 33rd kings of Magadha. The Buddhistic works say that Buddha was Seventy-two years old at the time of AjataSatru’s coronation. According to the Puranas AjataSatru’s coronation was in 1814 BCE.
As Siddhartha was born in lineage of Lord Rama in Ikshvaku dynasty, people of his generation might have considered him to be incarnation of Rama or Vishnu.